Sunday, November 4, 2012

Alice in Wonderland

You all know the story of the girl who fell down the rabbit hole and into another world. Well, today I realized that's how I feel. We were at this Estate Sale thing and I found an Alice in Wonderland snow globe. I just had to have it, not only because i have a small collection of snow globes, but Alice in Wonderland is my favorite, and it made me realize that's how this whole thing has felt. When I spent 6 weeks in the hospital, that was my fall down the rabbit hole. Then I went home for two days, that's the whole deal with the shrinking juice and the growing cake. I had hope that was so easily taken away. Since then has been the journey through Wonderland. I'm in a different place where people talk strangely, (I'm not even kidding. My mom, aunt, and grandma practically have their own language). I don't even understand them half the time! Anyway, Alice returns home eventually, and so will I. I just have to believe that. 



      Another incredibly inspiring thing that happened today also happened at the Estate Sale. There were stairs in this "estate," so Mom had to carry the oxygen tank for me because I"m not supposed to lift more than 5 ell-bees. As we were coming down from the top floor (where I had found the globe) an old man looked at us and said to me: "Do you have CF?" I was dumbfounded. How the heck did he know that?! But I pretended it was totally normal and nodded. "Yeah." You'll never believe his response! "Oh, me too... and I'm 66 years old." 66! Can you even believe that! That is so incredible for a person with CF! Especially because so much of his life was lived before there were enzyme supplements, and even more of it was lived before the Vest was invented! That is the best inspiration I've had all this time. Some day, I might see a little (relatively speaking) person with oxygen and be like "You have CF? Me too, and I'm 66" and then I'll think about this whole endeavor and I'll think "Remember when you were 17 and that guy said that to you? Remember when you had to have a transplant and there was a chance you could die but you didn't because you're a freaking badass? Yeah I do." And I'll be wearing crazy psychadelic pants and my hair will probably still be purple.. because I"m just that BAD-ASS.

No comments:

Post a Comment