Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Update

Today, we went to see the cardiothoracic surgeon. He was very nice and he actually gave me a little bit of hope. Let me explain a little. Right now, I have a chest tube in. It has a one-way valve on the end of it. That way, air can escape, but none will be let back in. Today, the doc looked at it and thought about it and based on the facts, he decided it probably wasn't working anymore (his words were "it's probably occluded").  I know this sounds like it's a bad thing, but really, think about it. I haven't had any trouble with my lung for almost 2 months now. If the tube isn't working properly, and I haven't had any trouble with my lungs, that means it has sealed! But just to be sure, he put a clamp on the tube so it for sure can't work. We are going back tomorrow for a CAT scan. The doc wants to know why I keep getting these pneumos. Another great note is that he said, based on my ability to exercise and the fact that my need for oxygen is low (basically nonexistent), the need for transplant maybe isn't as dire as we originally thought. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that means I can go home.... which is all I really want. Oh well. He also said one more thing that made me feel really good.

"A chest tube is one of the four most painful things to have. You must be pretty tough."
(With this, you must remember that I've had 6 placed and 2 failed attempts)
So damn right I'm tough. 
The day that I rode the bike, I think I over did it just a little. I told Mom this and she didn't like that too much. "Maggs, you gotta be careful. Don't overdo it too much," she said. 
"I'm sorry, it's not my fault. Once I get going on something, I just go. Once I put my mind to something, I do it. "

I'm a freaking freight train. Don't try to stop me. If I want something badly, those who attempt to stop me will get crushed in my path!!! 

So I have one last thing to say: 
BRING IT. 

No comments:

Post a Comment